- 3/18/2018: Added example species key for Draba and example species description for Draba aurea. Updated families and accepted names in Checklist, added ITIS TSN, and added links to taxonomic source material (version 1.1).
- 1/7/2018: Checklist of vascular and nonvascular plants and fruticose lichens added (version 1.0).
- For additional information, visit the site maintained by our collaborators at University of Alaska Herbarium (ALA): alaskaflora.org
About the Checklist
This website is maintained as part of a collaborative effort by University of Alaska Herbarium (ALA) and Alaska Center for Conservation Science (ACCS), plus additional partners to be determined. For additional information, visit the site maintained by our collaborators at University of Alaska Herbarium (ALA): alaskaflora.org.
This website is currently intended to provide resources of broad interest to the botanical community in Alaska rather than an official Flora of Alaska. We offer a draft comprehensive synonymized checklist of vascular and nonvascular plants and lichens of Alaska. Non-native vascular plants that have been found growing outside of intentional cultivation are included in the checklist. Keys and species descriptions will also be hosted here as they become available.
The checklist has been developed from lists of plants occurring in Alaska from Checklist of the Panarctic Flora, University of Alaska Museum Herbarium (ALA), University of Alaska Anchorage Herbarium (UAAH), and USDA Plants Database. The checklist includes synonyms and names that have been misapplied for species in Alaska. Accepted nomenclature was inherited from the following persons or sources in order of priority:
- Individual taxonomic specialists
- Peer-reviewed Literature
- Pan-Arctic Flora Checklist
- Dave Murray, Ph.D. (Curator Emeritus of ALA)
- Flora of North America
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS)
- Consortium of North American Lichen Herbaria (CNALH)
- Consortium of North American Bryophyte Herbaria (CNABH)
- The Plant List
- USDA Plants Database
Please submit feedback, including technical corrections, on this website and the checklist, keys, and species descriptions provided here through the feedback form.
Note on relationship with USDA Plants Database
The checklist has been synonymized with and linked to USDA Plants Database because many federal agencies are required to report using USDA Plants Database nomenclature. USDA Plants codes are provided within the checklist where possible. Within the context of Alaska, Plants Database is less than ideal because it is not updated to reflect recent taxonomic investigations, and it does not prioritize the floristics of the Beringian or Arctic regions. Relative to the accepted nomenclature presented here, Plants Database uses a synonym for 691 taxa, misapplies names for 110 taxa, does not recognize 211 names and instead applies another name sensu lato, and does not recognize 68 names and has no equivalent. Despite these drawbacks, links to Plants Database have been included where possible to increase the usefulness of the checklist and flora to federal agencies and to provide compatibility with studies that followed Plants nomenclature.
This section is under construction. Please email the website administrator at the link in the footer of this website to inquire on proper citation of information provided here.